Tuesday, October 7, 2014

A Weekend with Monks: After Spiritual Direction

Last week I spent several days at a monastery outside of Tulsa, Oklahoma.  This is a select journal entry from my time there.


This is how my session of spiritual direction ended: Father Bachman looked concernedly into my eyes (think Gandalf looking into Pippin's eyes in Lord of the Rings) and said, "let me pray for you".  Then, without another word, his eyes got big and he stood up and SPRINTED out of the room, black cloak billowing behind him, looking once again like professor Snape.  What??!  In my experience when somebody says, "let me pray for you", they typically pray for you right then and there.  Why did he run??  Am I possessed??  Is there something I need to know about myself which tends to make holy men want to sprint away from me??  I THINK he may have been late for compline... but I don't know.  Bizarre... really bizarre.

No comments:

Post a Comment